
We have big news! Ethan Mark Hendricks was born at 7:21 PM on July 21st. He is a very healthy little boy weighing in at 6 lbs. 7.4 oz. He is 20 inches tall.
Here is the story...
We got a call from Jessica (his birth mother) on Thursday afternoon saying that she wasn't feeling very well and that she will likely go to the hospital that evening. Thursday evening she called again and said that they sent her home but that the baby will be coming in the next day or two. So we jumped in the car and drove the 20+ hours to Cincinnati. We encountered six hours of torrential rain, miles of road construction, and inedible fast food before arriving in Cincinnati at 2 AM on Saturday morning. We collapsed exhausted into our hotel for five blissful hours before heading to the hospital. There, we saw Jessica who despite her ordeal looked radiant. Together, we went to the nursery and she handed me the baby. It was quite symbolic really. He was absolutely perfect and I came very very close to crying.
Because he was born 3 weeks and two days early, the hospital staff kept him in the Neonatal ICU for 26 hours to monitor him. He checked out perfectly and we were able to move him to the regular maternity floor after that. On Saturday night, Heath and I grabbed a quick bite at Ruby Tuesday as our last meal as a child-free couple. We headed back to the hospital where we decided that I would spend the night. The hospital offered me a room and Ethan roomed in with me. Heath headed back to the hotel for a solid seven hours of sleep and a manly Honey Do list that included installing the car seat base and assembling the bassinette. I, on the other hand, was faced with the daunting task of looking after a brand new six pound-something newborn all night. Although there was a staff of capable nurses at my disposal, looking down at him in his crib I felt like I was staring down at a uncharted double black diamond ski run. My previous night of five hours of uninterrupted sleep seemed like paradise. That night consisted of eight interminable hours punctuated with twenty minutes of unconciousness and intense "Ohmigod, is he still breathing" panic attacks. The next morning Heath showed up very early and like an angel from God brought me FOOD! The nurses took Ethan away for his circumcision (ouch!) and Heath and I took a much needed walk. Heath was very nervous and fidgety thinking about his son's circumsion procedure. Hmmm. I was worried and concerned too, but probably a little less empathetic. Similar I think to Heath's empathy towards my gynecological exams : ) Anyway, Ethan passed all of his tests and procedures with flying colors and we were able to check out of the hospital on Sunday evening.
Now Heath, Ethan, and I are holed up in a hotel room waiting for the courts to finalize our paperwork. Legally, the baby cannot leave the state until that happens. It should take a total of two weeks. Heath may head home to work for a few days next week and my mom may come out while he is away. Heath's mom and dad are coming out to Ohio for a long weekend visit to see baby Ethan. Ethan is cute as a button, and is already turning into a daddy's boy. If I can figure out how to post pictures, you will see it for yourself!
All I can say is that four years of infertility, adoption expenses, and two trips to Cincinnati mean...
that Ethan is paying for college on his own!!!
Love to you all,
Heath, Marcelle, and Ethan
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home